Current status of podman on macOS Catalina?
I have installed podman on my macOS Catalina laptop using 'brew cask install podman' and can see that I have v2.0.3 installed. $ podman -v podman version 2.0.3 $ From what I read, the macOS podman is a remote client, but I can't find consistent directions on how to setup/configure the macOS client to reference a remote podman node. I have both RHEL7.7 (podman version 1.6.4) and RHEL8.0 (podman version 1.9.3) VMs where I can ssh as root. Can someone please point me to info about how to setup my macOS podman client to use either of my RHEL podman nodes? Thanks in advance for any help!
I've just asked Ashley Cui to join the list as she'll have the best answer here. She's just done so and I'm replying to the list so she can get a copy of this email too. t On 8/26/20 4:57 PM, thomas.neal@hcl.com wrote:
I have installed podman on my macOS Catalina laptop using 'brew cask install podman' and can see that I have v2.0.3 installed.
$ podman -v podman version 2.0.3 $
From what I read, the macOS podman is a remote client, but I can't find consistent directions on how to setup/configure the macOS client to reference a remote podman node. I have both RHEL7.7 (podman version 1.6.4) and RHEL8.0 (podman version 1.9.3) VMs where I can ssh as root.
Can someone please point me to info about how to setup my macOS podman client to use either of my RHEL podman nodes?
Thanks in advance for any help! _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
On 8/26/20 17:41, Tom Sweeney wrote:
I've just asked Ashley Cui to join the list as she'll have the best answer here. She's just done so and I'm replying to the list so she can get a copy of this email too.
t
On 8/26/20 4:57 PM, thomas.neal@hcl.com wrote:
I have installed podman on my macOS Catalina laptop using 'brew cask install podman' and can see that I have v2.0.3 installed.
$ podman -v podman version 2.0.3 $
From what I read, the macOS podman is a remote client, but I can't find consistent directions on how to setup/configure the macOS client to reference a remote podman node. I have both RHEL7.7 (podman version 1.6.4) and RHEL8.0 (podman version 1.9.3) VMs where I can ssh as root.
Can someone please point me to info about how to setup my macOS podman client to use either of my RHEL podman nodes?
Thanks in advance for any help! _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
We are preparing a blog on just this topic, on how to use podman 2.0.5 on MAC And Windows with APIV2.
Should be up fairly soon, we have it written but are waiting on a few things. Podman is also available through regular brew now, not cask. If you would like to take a sneak peek at how to set stuff up, you can take a look at podman system connection -h and podman system connection add -h using ssh keys on podman 2.0.5 :) On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 9:12 AM <thomas.neal@hcl.com> wrote:
Is there an ETA on when the blog will be available? _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
I'm guessing the podman node needs to be running podman v2 also? The yum repos on my RHEL7/8 VMs only have v1 (1.6.4 and 1.9.3) currently. I adding a connection on my macOS laptop using the following command podman system connection add tnealrh8 --identity ~/.ssh/foo.pem --socket-path /run/podman/io.podman ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX I specified the socket-path because the default values ('/run/podman/podman.sock' or '/run/user/{uid}/podman/podman.sock) did not exist. But cannot connect. $ podman images Error: Failed to create sshClient: Connection to bastion host (ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX:22/run/podman/io.podman) failed.: ssh: handshake failed: ssh: unable to authenticate, attempted methods [none publickey], no supported methods remain
If you use the older socket (io.podman) rather than the new podman.sock, you need to use a varlink client too. For instance by running the same version of the podman-remote client (v1.9.3). The new socket is for podman v2. /Anders Den tors 27 aug. 2020 kl 18:40 skrev <thomas.neal@hcl.com>:
I'm guessing the podman node needs to be running podman v2 also? The yum repos on my RHEL7/8 VMs only have v1 (1.6.4 and 1.9.3) currently.
I adding a connection on my macOS laptop using the following command
podman system connection add tnealrh8 --identity ~/.ssh/foo.pem --socket-path /run/podman/io.podman ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX
I specified the socket-path because the default values ('/run/podman/podman.sock' or '/run/user/{uid}/podman/podman.sock) did not exist. But cannot connect.
$ podman images Error: Failed to create sshClient: Connection to bastion host (ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX:22/run/podman/io.podman) failed.: ssh: handshake failed: ssh: unable to authenticate, attempted methods [none publickey], no supported methods remain
Yes, the podman node needs to be podmanv2 On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 1:45 PM Anders F Björklund < anders.f.bjorklund@gmail.com> wrote:
If you use the older socket (io.podman) rather than the new podman.sock, you need to use a varlink client too.
For instance by running the same version of the podman-remote client (v1.9.3). The new socket is for podman v2.
/Anders
Den tors 27 aug. 2020 kl 18:40 skrev <thomas.neal@hcl.com>:
I'm guessing the podman node needs to be running podman v2 also? The yum repos on my RHEL7/8 VMs only have v1 (1.6.4 and 1.9.3) currently.
I adding a connection on my macOS laptop using the following command
podman system connection add tnealrh8 --identity ~/.ssh/foo.pem --socket-path /run/podman/io.podman ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX
I specified the socket-path because the default values ('/run/podman/podman.sock' or '/run/user/{uid}/podman/podman.sock) did not exist. But cannot connect.
$ podman images Error: Failed to create sshClient: Connection to bastion host (ssh://root@XX.XX.XX.XX:22/run/podman/io.podman) failed.: ssh: handshake failed: ssh: unable to authenticate, attempted methods [none publickey], no supported methods remain
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
I added some information on how to set up a rootless socket to the previous post: https://boot2podman.github.io/2020/07/22/machine-replacement.html#rootless This was as a replacement for podman-machine, which only supports varlink / v1... You can use this in the meantime, until the blog post and documentation is up. /Anders Den tors 27 aug. 2020 kl 19:58 skrev Ashley Cui <acui@redhat.com>:
Yes, the podman node needs to be podmanv2
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 1:45 PM Anders F Björklund < anders.f.bjorklund@gmail.com> wrote:
If you use the older socket (io.podman) rather than the new podman.sock, you need to use a varlink client too.
For instance by running the same version of the podman-remote client (v1.9.3). The new socket is for podman v2.
/Anders
Den tors 27 aug. 2020 kl 18:40 skrev <thomas.neal@hcl.com>:
I'm guessing the podman node needs to be running podman v2 also? The yum repos on my RHEL7/8 VMs only have v1 (1.6.4 and 1.9.3) currently.
What is the best way for me to get podman v2 for RHEL[78]? Build from source? Any guess when the yum repos would be updated? Thanks very much for all the great info!
We will be releasing with RHEL 8 at 8.3 (planned in November). Until then, I'll defer to others. Personally, I was playing with it in Fedora Rawhide about 6 weeks ago, and now in Fedora (and I'm the Product Manager) ;-) On a serious note, it really is easier to just use what is packaged. But, it's not hard to compile, I've done that too. On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 3:01 PM <thomas.neal@hcl.com> wrote:
What is the best way for me to get podman v2 for RHEL[78]? Build from source? Any guess when the yum repos would be updated?
Thanks very much for all the great info! _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
-- -- A Comparison of Linux Container Images: http://crunchtools.com/comparison-linux-container-images/ -- Scott McCarty Product Management - Containers, Red Hat Enterprise Linux & OpenShift Email: smccarty@redhat.com Phone: 312-660-3535 Cell: 330-807-1043 Web: http://crunchtools.com Using Azure Pipelines with Red Hat Universal Base Image and Quay.io: https://red.ht/2TvYo3Y
How an I get access to an older podman version for macOS? I tried 'brew install podman@1.9.3' but no luck. Seems that v2.0.5 is the only one available.
Podman 2.0.5 is the first version to be distributed via brew. Older versions were distributed via brew cask, you may be able to find them by checking out an older version of brew cask. You can definitely find an older version of podman by going to the release pages, and downloading a binary from there. On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:04 AM <thomas.neal@hcl.com> wrote:
How an I get access to an older podman version for macOS? I tried 'brew install podman@1.9.3' but no luck. Seems that v2.0.5 is the only one available. _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
On 8/31/20 11:27 AM, Ashley Cui wrote:
Podman 2.0.5 is the first version to be distributed via brew. Older versions were distributed via brew cask, you may be able to find them by checking out an older version of brew cask. You can definitely find an older version of podman by going to the release pages, and downloading a binary from there.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:04 AM <thomas.neal@hcl.com <mailto:thomas.neal@hcl.com>> wrote:
How an I get access to an older podman version for macOS? I tried 'brew install podman@1.9.3' but no luck. Seems that v2.0.5 is the only one available. _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io <mailto:podman@lists.podman.io> To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io <mailto:podman-leave@lists.podman.io>
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
Ashley, got a link handy for the release pages? t
yessir https://github.com/containers/podman/releases On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:40 AM Tom Sweeney <tsweeney@redhat.com> wrote:
On 8/31/20 11:27 AM, Ashley Cui wrote:
Podman 2.0.5 is the first version to be distributed via brew. Older versions were distributed via brew cask, you may be able to find them by checking out an older version of brew cask. You can definitely find an older version of podman by going to the release pages, and downloading a binary from there.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 11:04 AM <thomas.neal@hcl.com> wrote:
How an I get access to an older podman version for macOS? I tried 'brew install podman@1.9.3' but no luck. Seems that v2.0.5 is the only one available. _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
Ashley, got a link handy for the release pages?
t _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
Thanks Ashley, I have installed 1.9.3 on my macOS laptop to match my RHEL8 podman node. I don't see any commands or flags on the 1.9.3 podman-remote client that allows specifying the remote podman node address, user, etc. I'm able to successfully run 'podman version', but other commands result in a failure to find conmon tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$ podman version Version: 1.9.3 RemoteAPI Version: 1 Go Version: go1.14.3 Git Commit: 5d44534fff6877b1cb15b760242279ae6293154c-dirty Built: Thu Jun 11 15:04:34 2020 OS/Arch: darwin/amd64 tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$ podman info Error: could not get runtime: could not find a working conmon binary (configured options: [/usr/libexec/podman/conmon /usr/local/libexec/podman/conmon /usr/local/lib/podman/conmon /usr/bin/conmon /usr/sbin/conmon /usr/local/bin/conmon /usr/local/sbin/conmon /run/current-system/sw/bin/conmon]): invalid argument tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$
here's the blog that just came out for more info! we strongly encourage you to move to podman 2.0 as the 1.9 versions of podman use an old api https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/podman-clients-macos-windows On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 1:33 PM <thomas.neal@hcl.com> wrote:
Thanks Ashley, I have installed 1.9.3 on my macOS laptop to match my RHEL8 podman node. I don't see any commands or flags on the 1.9.3 podman-remote client that allows specifying the remote podman node address, user, etc. I'm able to successfully run 'podman version', but other commands result in a failure to find conmon
tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$ podman version Version: 1.9.3 RemoteAPI Version: 1 Go Version: go1.14.3 Git Commit: 5d44534fff6877b1cb15b760242279ae6293154c-dirty Built: Thu Jun 11 15:04:34 2020 OS/Arch: darwin/amd64 tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$ podman info Error: could not get runtime: could not find a working conmon binary (configured options: [/usr/libexec/podman/conmon /usr/local/libexec/podman/conmon /usr/local/lib/podman/conmon /usr/bin/conmon /usr/sbin/conmon /usr/local/bin/conmon /usr/local/sbin/conmon /run/current-system/sw/bin/conmon]): invalid argument tnealmac16:~ thomasneal$ _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
Do you plan on making any podman version for macOS or Windows, that would run podman "locally" (as opposed to as towards a remote server) ? The currently available options (such as podman-machine or minikube) don't work with podman 2.0.5 at this point, so they still require using 1.9.3 Maybe it would need a separate post on how to set up the server otherwise. Like for instance https://fedoramagazine.org/install-fedora-virtualbox-guest/ /Anders Den ons 2 sep. 2020 kl 16:32 skrev Ashley Cui <acui@redhat.com>:
here's the blog that just came out for more info! we strongly encourage you to move to podman 2.0 as the 1.9 versions of podman use an old api
https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/podman-clients-macos-windows
You need to export the PODMAN_HOST variable, with the IP of your VM (assuming that you can log in using ssh key, and that the io.podman socket service is running) /Anders Den mån 31 aug. 2020 kl 19:32 skrev <thomas.neal@hcl.com>:
Thanks Ashley, I have installed 1.9.3 on my macOS laptop to match my RHEL8 podman node. I don't see any commands or flags on the 1.9.3 podman-remote client that allows specifying the remote podman node address, user, etc. I'm able to successfully run 'podman version', but other commands result in a failure to find conmon
On 9/2/20 13:36, Anders F Björklund wrote:
You need to export the PODMAN_HOST variable, with the IP of your VM (assuming that you can log in using ssh key, and that the io.podman socket service is running)
/Anders
Den mån 31 aug. 2020 kl 19:32 skrev <thomas.neal@hcl.com <mailto:thomas.neal@hcl.com>>:
Thanks Ashley, I have installed 1.9.3 on my macOS laptop to match my RHEL8 podman node. I don't see any commands or flags on the 1.9.3 podman-remote client that allows specifying the remote podman node address, user, etc. I'm able to successfully run 'podman version', but other commands result in a failure to find conmon
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
We don't plan on supporting the varlink podman-remote client in podman 2.0.5, so you would need to use the older client. We hope to quickly move everyone to podman 2.0 and eliminate Varlink ASAP
participants (6)
-
Anders F Björklund -
Ashley Cui -
Daniel Walsh -
Scott McCarty -
thomas.neal@hcl.com -
Tom Sweeney