On 1/9/23 14:29, Михаил Иванов wrote:
I repeated everything again: podman system reset, then deleted everything in ~/.local/share/containers to be on the safe side and ran buildah to create an image. No overlay directories appeared under ~/.local/share/containers, only vfs* instead.
When I run same buildah command as root, overlay* directories do appear under /var/lib/containers and no vfs ones.
My debian is the latest one (sid) and it has the following fuse-related packages:
ii fuse-overlayfs 1.9-1 amd64 implementation of overlay+shiftfs in FUSE for rootless containers ii fuse3 3.12.0-1 amd64 Filesystem in Userspace (3.x version) ii libfuse2:amd64 2.9.9-6 amd64 Filesystem in Userspace (library) ii libfuse3-3:amd64 3.12.0-1 amd64 Filesystem in Userspace (library) (3.x version)
podman is 4.3.1
For both root and rootless configs podman system info reports runc runtime (runc_1.1.4+ds1-1+b1_amd64 package).
Rgrds, Giuseppe any ideas? On 03.01.2023 18:25, Daniel Walsh wrote:
You could do a podman system reset and then remove all content from the storage with rm -rf ~/.local/share/containers To make sure there is nothing hidden there, But that's almost exactly what I did: I just purged the whole storage using podman system reset. I verified that ~/.local/share/containers became empty (only bolt database was still remaining using about 200Mb space)
I'm using whatever storage was provided by default podman install (debian sid/bookworm) podman is 4.3.1 How can I reconfigure it to different type? I assumed this has to be done in storage.conf but this file is not present anywhere at all. I have no idea why debian would be choosing VFS, unless this is an
On 12/30/22 08:35, Михаил Иванов wrote: older version of debian and did not support rootless overaly. You could try installling fuse-overlayfs and doing another reset, then Podman info should show you using overlay with fuse-overlayfs.
Best regards, On 29.12.2022 15:04, Daniel Walsh wrote:
On 12/27/22 13:19, Михаил Иванов wrote:
Hallo again, I just purged the whole storage using podman system reset. I verified that ~/.local/share/containers became empty (only bolt database was still remaining using about 200Mb space) I have run 2 containers from docker.io: ibmcom/db2 and ibmcom/db2console. podman system df reports space usage by images 4Gb and by containers 6Mb. podman images command shows consistent values (two images, 2.83Gb + 1.21Gb) system df command shows that 32Gb is used on ~/.local/share/containers filesystem du shows that all this space is located under ~/.local/share/containers/storage/vfs/dir This directory contains 32 subdirs, 11 subdirs of 1.1Gb each, 6 subdirs of 2.6Gb each, rest subdirs take anywhere from 94Mb to 646Mb When I try to diff -rw for directories of same size, I see only reports for missing symlink files, but never real file differences. No real activity was performed with podman apart from running these two containers. I am running podman 4.3.1 on debian bookworm (kernel 6.0.8)
What is wrong?
I guess the first question I would have for you is why are you using VFS storage? And not overlay or fuse-overlay?
Could there be other containers or storage that is un-accounted for? Did you do any podman builds? Or Buildah?
``` $ podman ps --all CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES 2e7070eacb0f docker.io/library/alpine:latest touch /dan/walsh 6 days ago Exited (0) 6 days ago nervous_noether $ podman ps --all --external CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES 2e7070eacb0f docker.io/library/alpine:latest touch /dan/walsh 6 days ago Exited (0) 6 days ago nervous_noether 9478fed6d8db docker.io/library/alpine:latest buildah 14 seconds ago Storage alpine-working-container ```
You could do a podman system reset and then remove all content from the storage with
rm -rf ~/.local/share/containers
To make sure there is nothing hidden there,
Other then that I am not sure what could be showing the difference in storage.
Best regards, -- On 23.12.2022 19:43, Михаил Иванов wrote:
Hallo, I notice some disk space discrepancy when running rootless podman containers. I use dedicated fs for podman storage mountrd to ~/.local/share/containers. df and du show consistent used disk space: island:named [master]> df -h ~/.local/share/containers /dev/mapper/sys-containers 117G 84G 32G 73% ~/.local/share/containers
island:named [master]> sudo du -sh ~/.local/share/containers/storage/{vfs,volumes} 74G /home/ivans/.local/share/containers/storage/vfs 11G /home/ivans/.local/share/containers/storage/volumes island:named [master]> But space usage shown by podman system df is about 44% less than reported above:
island:named [master]> podman system df TYPE TOTAL ACTIVE SIZE RECLAIMABLE Images 32 5 39.49GB 25.96GB (66%) Containers 7 7 1.85GB 0B (0%) Local Volumes 2 2 10.83GB 0B (0%)
Volume space is practically same, it's vfs space (where as I understand images and containers are located) that differs. I also run buildah as same user, but buildah ls shows nothing. I have ran podman system prune, but it reclaimed 0 bytes. So is this extra space usage expected? Or is it sthing wrong with my storage? Thanks and regards, -- Michael Ivanov
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io