On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Daniel Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com> wrote:
This seems to be a fairly common failure for users. Is there anything we could do in `podman generate systemd` to point out the problem to users? IE in the generated unit files, if we pointed to the linger command there in a comment? Would this have helped?
We have improved the man pages which now cover that but I see a lot of wisdom in adding some pointers to the generated unit files. Nice idea!
On 5/11/20 09:37, Ryan Wilson wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick help with this last week. I finally got to test it and yes, this indeed was the problem. "loginctl enable-linger" fixed it. I didn't know systemd was doing this. I guess the KillUserProcesses features is turned off by default in my desktop distribution. Thanks for pointing out the problem! Ryan
On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:52 PM Tom Sweeney <tsweeney@redhat.com> wrote:
Ryan,
FWIW, we've also added a note in the troubleshooting guide for Podman, https://github.com/containers/libpod/blob/master/troubleshooting.md
Thanks for bringing this up!
t
On 5/5/20 9:17 AM, Scott McCarty wrote:
I might also recommend just running podman with systemd so that this doesn't happen. You can easily steal my unit files from here:
https://github.com/fatherlinux/code-config-data
There's also a blog linked at the bottom if you want more info.
Best Regards Scott M
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 6:29 PM Matt Heon <mheon@redhat.com> wrote:
On 2020-05-04 18:10, Ryan Wilson wrote:
Hi podman team, I wanted to try out Fedora CoreOS for a couple of upcoming projects so I installed it on bare metal and logged in via ssh. I can start a container detached (as my logged in user) and then verify that the server is running but when I logout of the ssh session, the container stops. From looking at the logs, it appears that the container process is getting SIGTERM Which I assume means the container was stopped gracefully. But by what? How do I stop this behavior? If I detach a container, I would like it to outlive my session. This doesn’t happen when I sudo to root and start the container, only when running as the non-root user. Any suggestions?
Ryan
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
I suspect this is systemd killing Podman as the session it was started in dies. Enabling linger with `loginctl enable-linger` usually resolves this.
Thanks, Matt Heon _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
--
--
[image: Summit Virtual Experience] <https://www.redhat.com/en/summit?sc_cid=7013a000002D2QxAAK>
Scott McCarty Product Management - Containers, Red Hat Enterprise Linux & OpenShift Email: smccarty@redhat.com Phone: 312-660-3535 Cell: 330-807-1043 Web: http://crunchtools.com
Using Azure Pipelines with Red Hat Universal Base Image and Quay.io: https://red.ht/2TvYo3Y
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io