On 1/19/20 8:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020, Daniel Walsh wrote:
On 1/18/20 2:01 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020, Seth Kenlon wrote:
From my experience as a writer for https://opensource.com, I would say that the term "container" is as potent (if not more, these days) as "Docker". It didn't used to be that way, but if I post something about containers now, I don't see an appreciable difference in engagement between what we used to get for articles about Docker specifically.
I don't have numerical data to support this, and it could be an anomaly with just my audience, so take it with a grain of salt.
I do think mentioning both docker and podman in the course title could be good as a catch-all, but I guess I'm suggesting you ride on the term "container", and mention podman, dockerfile, buildah, and all those predictable SEO terms in the course description. eggcellent ... that's the way i was leaning, i just didn't want to alienate people who thought docker was the be-all and end-all of container technology. i suspect the only important distinction i'd make would be the cgroups v1/v2 issue, and make sure attendees understand what it means, and leave it at that.
thank you kindly.
rday I think you would definitely need something on managing the Docker daemon, though.
I would figure teaching both would be the best. understood, but i'm thinking of just the first intro day, and for that, i think just mentioning the difference regarding the docker deamon would be enough -- a followup course on actual image and daemon management could get into the consequences of the docker daemon.
i already have a pretty decent outline for that first day and a sizable collection of online resources, but i'm always open to more recommendations for online courses or articles that i can incorporate.
rday _______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
One tool you might want to add to your arsenal is podman top. It shows things about the contianer like what PID the container processes are running , versus the real pid on the host. podman top -l pid hpid -> helps explain PID namespace Or the userid of the process inside the container and outside podman top -l user huser -> helps explain User Namespace. If you are demonstrating rootless podman, I like users to explore user namespace using $ podman unshare