can podman rootless support qemu-user-static for other arch?
Hi: I have a use case to run an ARM based container inside podman on an x86 platform. see https://github.com/multiarch/qemu-user-static It works for me using rootful podman env ``` [root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm --privileged multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset -p yes[root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm32v6/alpine uname -marmv7l[root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm64v8/fedora uname -maarch64 ``` but when I try this in rootless environment (i am not good at technical detail in low level) ``` $ podman run --rm --privileged docker.io/multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset -p yes mount: permission denied (are you root?) mount: permission denied (are you root?) ``` so my questions: 1. is it possible to enable this for rootless env? if not, can I use sudo command to run it once 2. is it done in system level or needs to be done for each user if it is the common env Rgs, larry
On 1/10/24 05:53, Larry Cai wrote:
Hi:
I have a use case to run an ARM based container inside podman on an x86 platform.
see https://github.com/multiarch/qemu-user-static
It works for me using rootful podman env
``` [root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm --privileged multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset -p yes This command requires root, since it is modifying the way the kernel is working. [root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm32v6/alpine uname -m armv7l [root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm64v8/fedora uname -m aarch64 These commands can be run in rootless mode, after you run the command above. ``` but when I try this in rootless environment (i am not good at technical detail in low level) ```
$ podman run --rm --privileged docker.io/multiarch/qemu-user-static <http://docker.io/multiarch/qemu-user-static> --reset -p yes
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
``` so my questions: 1. is it possible to enable this for rootless env? if not, can I use sudo command to run it once 2. is it done in system level or needs to be done for each user if it is the common env Rgs, larry
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list --podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email topodman-leave@lists.podman.io
Thx for the confirmation, really useful for me. Mvh/Larry On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 9:30 PM Daniel Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com> wrote:
On 1/10/24 05:53, Larry Cai wrote:
Hi:
I have a use case to run an ARM based container inside podman on an x86 platform.
see https://github.com/multiarch/qemu-user-static
It works for me using rootful podman env
```
[root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm --privileged multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset -p yes
This command requires root, since it is modifying the way the kernel is working.
[root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm32v6/alpine uname -marmv7l[root@podman-priv /]# podman run --rm -t arm64v8/fedora uname -maarch64
These commands can be run in rootless mode, after you run the command above.
```
but when I try this in rootless environment (i am not good at technical detail in low level)
```
$ podman run --rm --privileged docker.io/multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset -p yes
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
mount: permission denied (are you root?) ``` so my questions:
1. is it possible to enable this for rootless env? if not, can I use sudo command to run it once
2. is it done in system level or needs to be done for each user if it is the common env Rgs, larry
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
_______________________________________________ Podman mailing list -- podman@lists.podman.io To unsubscribe send an email to podman-leave@lists.podman.io
participants (2)
-
Daniel Walsh -
Larry Cai