Hi Everyone. I'm trying to get a container to run on a machine that has a graphical interface. The container and the hosting machine are one and the same. It's running RHEL 8.1 and I'm creating the container as a ubi8 instance. I can't get the container to display so was wondering if someone would be kind enough to show me an example commandline for podman run for wayland. Thank you Bryan
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 01:21:16PM -0000, bryan.hepworth@gmail.com wrote:
I'm trying to get a container to run on a machine that has a graphical interface. The container and the hosting machine are one and the same. It's running RHEL 8.1 and I'm creating the container as a ubi8 instance. I can't get the container to display so was wondering if someone would be kind enough to show me an example commandline for podman run for wayland.
Hello Bryan, the following is a bit far away from what you want to do because it is not about Wayland but about X, but maybe something in my commands helps you with your problem. The following commands are what I was using to demo Podman in an HPC like environment running under slurm: $ salloc -n 8 $ export `scontrol show job $SLURM_JOBID | grep BatchHost` $ srun -N 2 -n 2 touch /tmp/.Xauthority $ srun hostname > hosts $ ssh $BatchHost -X -C $ cp .Xauthority /tmp/ $ mpirun --hostfile hosts podman run --rm --env-host --userns=keep-id --pid=host --ipc=host --net=host -v /tmp/podman-mpirun/:/tmp/podman-mpirun/:z -v /tmp/.Xauthority:/home/mpi/.Xauthority:z quay.io/adrianreber/mpi-life:latest -b -p -m As I was running on NFS it was extra complicated, but once I had the .Xauthority correctly in the container it was working for me. This is also extra complicated as it uses Open MPI, but maybe something in here can help you. Adrian
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 2:29 PM Adrian Reber <adrian@lisas.de> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 01:21:16PM -0000, bryan.hepworth@gmail.com wrote:
I'm trying to get a container to run on a machine that has a graphical interface. The container and the hosting machine are one and the same. It's running RHEL 8.1 and I'm creating the container as a ubi8 instance. I can't get the container to display so was wondering if someone would be kind enough to show me an example commandline for podman run for wayland.
Hello Bryan,
the following is a bit far away from what you want to do because it is not about Wayland but about X, but maybe something in my commands helps you with your problem. The following commands are what I was using to demo Podman in an HPC like environment running under slurm:
$ salloc -n 8 $ export `scontrol show job $SLURM_JOBID | grep BatchHost` $ srun -N 2 -n 2 touch /tmp/.Xauthority $ srun hostname > hosts $ ssh $BatchHost -X -C $ cp .Xauthority /tmp/ $ mpirun --hostfile hosts podman run --rm --env-host --userns=keep-id --pid=host --ipc=host --net=host -v /tmp/podman-mpirun/:/tmp/podman-mpirun/:z -v /tmp/.Xauthority:/home/mpi/.Xauthority:z quay.io/adrianreber/mpi-life:latest -b -p -m
As I was running on NFS it was extra complicated, but once I had the .Xauthority correctly in the container it was working for me. This is also extra complicated as it uses Open MPI, but maybe something in here can help you.
Jess Frazelle maintains a repository [1] with Dockerfiles for running all kinds of tools. It might be a good source of inspiration. Kind regards, Valentin [1] https://github.com/jessfraz/dockerfiles
Hi Adrian Thank you, much appreciated and also nice to see it running on an hpc! It's the switches that are getting the better of me so far, but seeing examples, I believe, will help me crack it. Thanks once again Bryan
participants (3)
-
Adrian Reber -
bryan.hepworth@gmail.com -
Valentin Rothberg