Hi Michael, It's not the issue. When you copy, create, install some files in one layer and delete them in another the files still will be persist in the resulting image but you will not see them the shell. It's applicable not only for buildah. Here is some example dockerfile excerpt: RUN wget http://some_url_with_file -O /your_file RUN rm /your_file Here we create two layers. One downloads a file and another deletes it. Container images layers use OverlayFS to combines multiple different underlying mount points into one. -- Dmitry Misharov Senior Software Quality Engineer Management & Automation QE Red Hat On Friday, 10 September 2021 07:41:37 CEST Michael Ivanov wrote:
Hallo,
I am building a rootless image using buildah from some base image. The resulting image size as shown by podman images is about 1.3Gb. When I run the image container size reported by podman inspect --size is also approximately the same. podman image tree shows 3 layers for this image and the sum of space, reported for all layers also matches image size.
But when I run du -sh / inside the container, the size reported is just about 800Mb. Where the extra 0.5Gb has disappeared?
While building the image I delete a lot of files from base image: can it be that even when the files are removed the space, used by them is not actually released?
Best regards, -- \ / | | (OvO) | Михаил Иванов | (^^^) | | \^/ | E-mail: ivans@isle.spb.ru | ^ ^ | | _______________________________________________ Buildah mailing list -- buildah@lists.buildah.io To unsubscribe send an email to buildah-leave@lists.buildah.io